Sesame Seed Oil has been used as a healing oil for thousands of years. Sesame oil is mentioned in the Vedas, (the Vedas is a large body of texts originating in ancient India) as excellent for humans. It is naturally antibacterial for common skin pathogens, such as staphylococcus and streptococcus as well as common skin fungi, such as athlete’s foot fungus. It is naturally antiviral. It is a natural anti-inflammatory agent.
Sesame Seed Oil has been used extensively in India as a healing oil, including in experiments which showed it was useful in unblocking arteries. In recent experiments in Holland by Ayurvedic physicians, sesame oil has been used in the treatment of several chronic disease processes, including hepatitis, diabetes and migraines.
Skin and Beauty Benefits of Sesame Seed Oil
There are many ways to enjoy the skin benefits of sesame seed oil and it is not known to have any kind of side effects on the skin. Sesame oil can also be mixed with other oils to increase its skin benefits. Listed below are some of the benefits of sesame oil for skin.
The vitamin E in sesame oil makes it a very good emollient and moisturizer, which, if used regularly, keeps your skin moisturized, healthy, hydrated and nourished. Hence, sesame oil is known to be extremely beneficial for dry skin care.
1. Sesame oil has natural sun block and sunscreen properties. Application of sesame seed oil on the body parts exposed to the sun can help prevent tanning and other damages caused by the harmful UV rays of the sun. This is one of the important sesame oil benefits.
2. Sesame oil has tranquilizing and soothing properties hence it is popularly used in massage therapies and aromatherapy. A sesame oil face or head massage before going to bed can help you get some sound sleep and rest and is beneficial for people suffering from insomnia.
3. The soothing and healing properties of sesame seed oil also prove useful in the repair of damaged skin cells and for skin rejuvenation. Application of sesame seed oil to the skin improves blood circulation which helps repair damaged skin cells and gives the skin a healthy glow.
4. Sesame oil also seeps into the skin or is absorbed by the skin very easily, which helps skin feel soft, hydrated and light.
Sesame oil has the ability to attract and trap toxins that are soluble in oil.
5. This detoxification of the skin can be done by applying warm sesame oil to the skin, let it stay for around 15 minutes and then wash it off with lukewarm water without using any soap. Read more on facial skin care.
6. The antioxidants that it contains helps reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles and helps you maintain youthful skin for a longer time.
7.Topical application of sesame seed oil is also known to be beneficial in the treatment and cure of skin related disorders like psoriasis and eczema.
8. Sesame oil is also very beneficial in the cure and prevention of acne due to its oil pulling properties.